Mahoney Architecture were commissioned to carry out a feasibility study for the redevelopment of Kilmacthomas Workhouse in County Waterford. The original buildings were designed by George Wilkinson to a standard design developed by the Poor Law Unions. The complex was opened in 1853 as a refuge for poor and destitute of post famine Ireland. The various buildings including a chapel and fever hospital were arranged in a symmetrical layout with the chapel as the centre piece. The workhouse closed in 1919, fortunately most of the buildings remain relatively intact and many original details remain. The buildings are both haunting and inspiring and we are excited and challenged by the potential to reimagine their use in a positive way while at the same time respecting the legacy of the unfortunate inhabitants and the many who died within the workhouse walls.