The original houses were built between 1756 and 1762 and Nos. 91 and 92 were originally built as a single four-bay house and converted into two separate dwellings in 1839. During the 1980’s the buildings were converted for office use for Irish Intercontinental Bank and were connected internally. Significant damage was caused to the character and historic detail of the building during this time with the insertion of additional floor beams , passenger lift and the construction of a two-storey extension to the rear of 91-92. The houses were acquired by the State in 2006. Mahoney Architecture were appointed to carrying out a significant refurbishment of the buildings to retain and restore the original structure and historical. The works involved the removal of the visually obtrusive structural and it’s replacement with sensitive hidden structure. This allowed the reinstatement of historic cornicing and decorative plasterwork. Other key interventions included the creation of a new light well to separate the 1970’s extension and reinstate blocked up rear windows. During the works we uncovered hidden historic details which are now visible including panels of historic wall-paper and decorative stencils on ceilings. The brickwork on the Merrion Square facade of No 93 had been replaced with a modern brick in the 1970’s . This was remedied by applying a new facing and repointing to reinstate the historic character , which combined with repair works to the windows, doors, railings and entrance surrounds has refreshed the public face of these important historic buildings. The building has been upgraded to comply with modern building standards including the provision of ramped access at the rear, a wheelchair compliant lift as well as fire and structural upgrades . The buildings will be occupied by the Oireachtas and enjoy a new life for many decades to come.