84 & 85 Marlborough St, Dublin
Nos. 84 and 85 Marlborough Street are situated in a historically important location in the city centre, adjacent to the Pro Cathedral and opposite Tyrone House. Both buildings are Protected Structures, constructed between 1757 and 1758 as part of the Gardiner Estate. A pawn-broking business has operated out of the premises for more than 100 years. The buildings have been renovated to provide ‘Living over the Shop’ accommodation , the ground floor and basement are maintained as retail units and the upper floors have been converted into apartments. A new build brick clad block has been constructed on Cathedral Lane with similar ground floor retail and the upper floor residential.
Architecture Ireland Volume 242 , November 2008.