The New Ireland Assurance buildings at 9-12 Dawson Street reflect the evolution of modern office buildings in Ireland. The oldest structure, which was designed by Vincent Kelly was completed in 1934, is considered to be one of Ireland’s first purpose-built office buildings and its modernist design became an emblem of a progressive forward-looking Nation.
New Ireland Assurance continued to develop the site over the following decades to accommodate growing staff numbers and in response to changing work environments driven by advances in technology and workplace standards. The 1964 building, by Morris and McCullough Architects is the most distinctive phase of development, with Its dramatically embellished celtic patterning proudly declaring the nationalist sentiments of the New Ireland Assurance Company.
Our redevelopment of the buildings provides the latest vital upgrading to ensure that the buildings continue to deliver modern workspace standards. At the same time, the new development embraces the Protected Structure status of the buildings and will return key aspects of the buildings to their original condition.
The various phases of development had resulted in a floor plate layout with no clear organisational structure and a building which was deficient in many aspects of technical compliance. This new phase of redevelopment rationalises these deficiencies and delivers a building with a rational central core, containing vertical circulation (lifts and stairs), washrooms and service risers. This core is accessed at ground level from Dawson Street within the 1964 building and re-establishes the historic entrance. We have also reinstated the original double height entrance lobby and the open plan relationship between the lobby and the original terrazzo staircase. The interior of this entrance space reintroduces the materials used in the original foyer including Connemara marble wall panelling and Terrazzo flooring.