The distinctive form of The Greenside Building establishes a notable new presence on Cuffe Street, a broad tree-lined street located close to St. Stephens Green in Dublin’s City Centre.
The street’s original Georgian fabric had been demolished in the mid 1900’s to make way for new city housing including the O’Carroll Villas buildings which are well set-back from the original street line. This setback brings the corner of our site into prominent view from the surrounding approaches.
In response, the north-eastern corner of the new building is accentuated to create a slender form wrapped in a diamond shaped lattice formed by diagonal brise-soleil. This lattice floats free of the glass surface and extends from first floor, rising beyond the top floor set-back terrace to roof level where each alternate panel of the lattice is infilled with fine mesh.
A frame of black limestone forms a solid base at ground level and extends vertically over the main entrance to the building which opens off Cuffe Street into a double height stone clad lobby. The main passenger lifts and stair core discharge directly into the lobby and provide access to all floors. The main ground floor accommodation provides a shared office/townhall/café space. A series of glazed triangular lightwells arranged along the street edge perimeter provide light to the lower ground level.
The upper floors provide the main office accommodation which is arranged in a U-shape around the central core and all floors enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding streetscapes and rooftops. The building’s form is stepped as it rises, to form east and south facing terraces which overlook the city and distant mountain views.
Externally , the laneway along Montague Court will be resurfaced in various textures of paving setts and cobbles laid out in a triangular pattern, following the diagonal motif of the brise-soleil as well as the lightwells within the building. http://www.thegreensidebuilding.com